Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Ice Skating on Boots

Contrary to popular belief, econometrics does not actually study the economics of the metric system.

I found this out the hard way today as my university began its spring semester courses. Unfortunately, it’s definitely anything but spring weather. Hours after I arrived back to my apartment, a sideways snowstorm (the term “blizzard” doesn’t do it justice) drove through our campus. And as if the twelve-plus inches of blinding whiteness weren’t enough, freezing rain began pouring down during the evening! Luckily, I’m sort of beginning to enjoy the whole ice-skating-on-boots gala.

So, if you're from the "it's so cold that I don't understand why someone would think settling here was a smart idea" area, any advice on getting through winters would be greatly appreciated.

But where was I? Oh, yes, econometrics! It’s essentially the application of statistical tools to analyze the variables of multiple economic theories. By the way, did I mention that I’m probably going to graduate to become the world’s most interesting dinner date?

4 comments:

  1. hats are key. something that covers your ears. also, a windproof coat. and a warm drink. And if you're walking on campus and you can cut through a building to get somewhere, do it. you'll stay much warmer that way. Really cold winters suck, but they're manageable. and yeah econometrics just sounds fascinating. lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why are you studying this madness subject?? I tried a module in Economics in my first year. Blergh. Statistics, get out of here :)
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel your pain, I really do! I hate the cold. Walking really really fast and wiggling my fingers and toes so they don't freeze helps me a bit :D Also, drifting away into my own imagination, where it is always warm :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. yes, hats are definitely key! and drifting into my own imagination never hurts either.

    and i question myself about taking these classes everyday haha.

    thanks for responses!

    ReplyDelete