Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Except for Poetry

I’d like to think that, starting from my earliest childhood memories, I’ve done quite a bit of writing.

In the first grade, I remember being excited when I finally learned to spell ‘airplane.’ During the sixth grade, I filled a black composition notebook with “Ghost Stories: The Scary Adventures of Jacky and Friends.” Unfortunately, I used the word ‘erotic’ to describe the girl who had become my first crush. Ever since, my love life has continued to experience a few nicks here and there…

But, of course, that’s a story for another time.

By the end of middle school, I had kept various journals; some notepads contained only one or two short entries while a select few can tell you the daily weather conditions for entire years. When high school ended, I had caught a glimpse into journalism, creative writing, and every literary genre in-between.

Well, everything except for the art of poetry.

I guess my lack of aspiration to jot down poems comes mainly from my inability to comprehend celebrated works such as those of Robert Frost and Emily Dickinson. As much as you might admire their use of rhythm or imagery, I will become confused before the first line is read.

But, in hoping to develop my writing, I’d like to gain at least some experience in poetry. Thus, here’s a short piece I had written several days ago:

Ordinary
His tried eyes,
they asked God,
In such an ordinary day,
how can you find perfection?
And suddenly, he understood.


Let me know what you think and how you interpreted this poem. Also, if you enjoy writing your own verses, please do share them!

7 comments:

  1. I love poetry. Reading it, writing it, analyzing it. Emily Dickinson is my FAVORITE (mostly because so many of her poems are written in ballad stanza, so you can sing them to the tune of "Amazing Grace").

    I love the first line of your poem- "tried eyes" when I was totally expecting "tired eyes." It's one of those poems that's so short, yet so deep. I'm a fan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never been into poetry either. Neither reading or writing it. Maybe I'll give it another chance someday though :)

    Your poem is very beautiful. You should definately write more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never been a huge fan of poetry. It takes a lot of effort on my part to really get a poem. That doesn't mean I can't enjoy some good poems though (The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock being my favorite). And I'm a fan of yours. Short, sweet, and still meaningful. It has a point without getting bogged down in extra words. well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heh, I was always so great in Eng Lit, always reading the correct meanings and metaphors from many authors and I could write essays based on books until the cows came home. Then when it comes to poetry, I just hit a roadblock. Although, I always thought part of poetry was interpreting it in your own way - yet during school items of poetry had a singular meaning and you were either right or wrong. :( I think this creative stifling might have turned off any poetry spark I may have had! Haha.

    Not sure what sort of meaning I can take from your poem, but it sounds lovely :) x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Through "tried" experienced eyes one comes to understand that an ordinary day IS perfection. I loved the poem. Flex your poetry muscle and write more!

    I signed up to follow your blog through Bloggeries (I'm a new member there) and would invite you to follow my blog also. We are both writers of different sorts and I like supporting other writers.

    http://afraidofsnakes.blogspot.com/

    Laurin Bellg

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks for all the comments! pickle, that is the exact same high school experience i had in english lit haha.

    laurin, thanks for following! you read my poem just like i intended! that makes me feel better about poetry haha.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can totally relate to keeping off poetry! I've been writing ever since I learned how to, and I've written everything but poetry. When I try it just ends up cheesy and somewhat stupid...

    Your poem is great! Poetry should be simple but well thought through, you managed perfectly :)

    ReplyDelete